“Working hard is important, but there is something that matters more…believing in yourself” (Harry Potter)
Click HERE for our Recovey Curriculum which is in place to ensure all children feel happy and safe at school and to restore their ‘love of learning’ following the Coronavirus pandemic.
Curriculum Intent at Grove Academy:
At Grove Academy, our engaging, exciting and empowering curriculum is designed around quality texts by amazing authors. We aim for every child to understand success and acquire the skills to achieve it in ways that are meaningful to their own lives, in order to equip them for secondary school and to be healthy, happy citizens of the future.
Within our diverse school community, we celebrate and welcome differences and recognise every child as a unique individual. Our academy believes that every child has a talent. As a staff, it is our role and responsibility to lay the foundations of lifelong learning allowing all children to aim high, unlocking their full potential.
"With the right key you can bust the door wide open. Because nobody's going to open it for you.” (Andy Mulligan)
Our magic principals underpin our curriculum developing a positive learning attitude and encourage our
Focus Statement of Intent
- Our aim is to provide a broad and balanced curriculum through ensuring that the Focus Curriculum is delivered through rich, imaginative and cross curricular learning that will inspire children.
We have adopted the Focus approach to curriculum planning which ensures our curriculum is ambitious and designed to give all pupils, particularly disadvantaged pupils and pupils with SEN and/or disabilities, the knowledge and cultural capital that they need to succeed in life. At Grove Academy, we are committed to providing a knowledge and skill based curriculum with clear progression that allows our children to build on their learning year on year so that they are ready to embrace any challenges that they may face. Our curriculum considers the changing context of our academy and we equip our pupils with the necessary life skills to celebrate and access their local community safely.
English Statement of Intent
- Our children access an exciting and innovative English curriculum which promotes oracy, reading and writing. We encourage our pupils to read widely and promote a love of literature immersing them in a language rich curriculum.
Maths Statement of Intent
- Our children access a whole-class mastery approach designed to spark curiosity and excitement embedding a growth mindset, allowing all pupils to master mathematical concepts.
Science Statement of Intent
- Our children access a science curriculum that is rich in scientific enquiry and stimulates an inquisitive mind.
History Statement of Intent
- Our children access a history curriculum that allows them to develop curiosity and chronology in the world around them.
Geography Statement of Intent
- Our children access a geography curriculum that allows them to develop geographical skills to enable them to understand the world that we live in.
Art Statement of Intent
- Our children access an art curriculum that exposes them to famous artists from Britain and around the world to allow them to develop a love of the subject and to understand the impact that they have had on the world that we live in. We also explore Stoke-on-Trent’s rich heritage of ceramics manufacture through links with local companies.
Design and Technology Statement of Intent
- Our children access a design and technology curriculum that enables them to plan, design, create and evaluate to be prepared for a world that is continually advancing with technology.
Computing Statement of Intent
- Our children access a computing curriculum that is focused on allowing children to develop the skills needed for a future of technology. We ensure that internet safety is embedded and promoted across the school.
P.E Statement of Intent
- Our children access a PE curriculum that delivers a range of sports and provides the opportunity to excel individually and as part of a team. Children are encouraged to develop a passion for PE and to understand the positive impact that exercise can have on maintaining a healthy mind and lifestyle.
RE Statement of Intent
- Our children access a religious educational curriculum that encourages children to be tolerant and respectful to all beliefs. It allows children to be curious and to celebrate the diverse world that we live in today.
PSHE Statement of Intent
- Our children access a Personal, Social, Health and Emotional curriculum that creates a healthy, positive mindset. Children are taught to express their feelings openly and listen respectfully to their peers so that they are healthy, happy citizens of the future. Our curriculum is matched to needs of our children to ensure that they are aware of an ever-changing world.
RSHE (Relationships, S*x and Health Education) is about understanding the importance of family life; stable and loving relationships and respect for others. In this subject, children will be given strategies to develop resilience, to know how and when to ask for help, and to know where to access support. We are consulting stakeholders about our policy, over the Autumn Term, and will begin teaching this during the Summer Term (2021).
SMSC Statement of Intent
- Our children access a Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural curriculum all throughout their learning. Teachers and staff model the values of SMSC in all areas of the curriculum, as we want our children at Grove to be upstanding role models of today and the future. We believe that SMSC is not taught as a subject alone as it is embedded in all that we do.
British Values Statement of Intent
- Our children access a curriculum that holds British Values with the highest regard. We recognise that our country is ever changing, and we embrace equality, individuality, diversity and culture. We promote the fundamental British Values of:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect
- Tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
We believe learning outside the classroom is essential to pupils’ development, therefore, at Grove Academy we offer a wealth of extra-curricular opportunities to enrich our pupils further. We believe that it is important to provide extra experiences and opportunities to inspire our children’s interests. We ensure that we offer a range of extra-curricular clubs as we want to broaden our children’s minds and let them try something different. Alongside others, some of the clubs that we offer include:
- Coding Club – preparing children for the future of technology
- Choir Club and Recorder Club – allowing a love of music and performing arts
- Taekwondo – developing community links and teaching children discipline
- Dance Club – learning performing arts, choreography and having the opportunity to perform at a local theatre
- Multi-Skills – allowing children to develop their fitness and learn how to use tactics
- Drama Club – developing children’s confidence in speaking and listening
“The truth is that money doesn’t make you rich; knowledge does.” – (Robert Kiyosaki)
Click here for Key Stage 2 Yearly Planners
Click here for Key Stage 2 Programmes of Study